Fire Blotter | T-bone accident on Parkway; too big and no permit burn pile; steak-induced fire

October 11th

At around 5:40PM, Snoqualmie Firefighters were dispatched to an appliance fire. A homeowner was attempting to cook a steak on a BBQ when it began to burn and catch fire. The homeowner shut the lid and turned off all the burners putting the fire out. There was no fire upon firefighter arrival.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

October 12th

At around 5:10AM, Snoqualmie Firefighters assisted other Eastside units with a two-car motor vehicle accident on SR 18. One patient was extricated and transported to Harborview Medical Center.

At around 8:30AM, Snoqualmie Firefighters were called back to the scene of the previous call on SR 18 to assist other units with extrication of two deceased individuals from a vehicle.

At around 6:00PM, Snoqualmie Firefighters responded for a reported two-vehicle, T- bone collision on the Snoqualmie Parkway. The unit arrived to find a blocking accident with all parties out of the vehicles. Witnesses stated that vehicle #1 was likely traveling around 35-40mph when it struck vehicle #2, pushing it approximately 50 feet. Airbags on both vehicles were deployed. The patient from vehicle #1 was complaining of minor injuries and did not want to be transported. The patient from vehicle #2 complained of neck muscle and right-sided rib pain from being impacted laterally. The patient was treated and transported to Swedish Hospital in Issaquah.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

October 13th

At around 3:30PM, Snoqualmie Firefighters responded with other units for a reported brush fire near I-90. Washington State Patrol reported they had received multiple reports and did not transfer them to fire dispatch. Units arrived to find no obvious signs of fire. Appeared to be a mis-located call from Issaquah.

At around 11:35PM, Snoqualmie Firefighters were called to a report of a large bonfire near Moon Valley Road. The caller advised that the whole area was lit up and there was a tremendous amount of embers flying through the air. Firefighters arrived to find a large, 25×25 burn pile that was unattended. The burn pile contained construction debris, cardboard, large tree limbs and other yard waste. The pile had no water source nearby and was backed up to a green belt. The homeowner came out and met the crew, stating he was just burning some “stuff” from around the yard, and that he’d lit the fire around 10pm and didn’t think there was an issue. He did not have a burn permit. Firefighters extinguished the burn pile and provided instruction for the homeowner to monitor the fire through the rest of the night and to reduce its size by using his excavator. The homeowner was advised that this could possibly be turned in to Puget Sound Clean Air due to the illegal burning of construction debris including roofing. He was cooperative and agreed to monitor the fire in case it grew and reduce the pile.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

October 15th

At around 7:45AM, Snoqualmie Firefighters were dispatched to a reported residential activated fire alarm called in by the alarm company. No call was made inside of the residence. The unit arrived to find the homeowner outside of the house advising there was no fire. Homeowner stated that he was cooking and smoke from the pan set off the alarm. He was unable to shut it off prior to it sending a signal to the alarm company.

At around 5:55PM, Snoqualmie Firefighters responded to the North Fork Road area for a reported odor of propane inside a structure. Upon arrival, firefighters found the homeowner outside stating that the smell was coming from inside a detached mother-in- law style home in the back of the property. The unit investigated with gas detecting equipment and found no signs of CO inside of the residence. Homeowner was left with instructions on monitoring for further issues and how to secure the propane should something else happen.

At around 7:10PM, Snoqualmie Firefighters were dispatched to the Club at Snoqualmie Ridge for a reported activated fire alarm called in by the alarm company. The unit arrived to find a crew cleaning the kitchen and the pizza ovens. The crew advised that they had set off the alarm by using a shop vacuum that had significant dust inside of it which activated a smoke head. There were no signs of fire and the alarm was reset.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

October 19th

At around 1:15PM, Snoqualmie Firefighters were dispatched to a pickup truck fire on Railroad Avenue. The crews arrived to find the pickup on the side of the road with its hood up and smoke coming from the engine. The owner said he had mechanical troubles, pulled over and smelled smoke. The crews used an extinguisher to cool the engine and extinguish a few flames.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

October 21st

At around 6:35PM, Snoqualmie Firefighters responded to an activation of a residential fire alarm due to steam. The homeowner tried to cancel, and crew was notified by dispatch, but proceeded in non-emergency mode to make sure everything was OK.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

October 23rd

At around 11:00AM, Snoqualmie Firefighters were dispatched for an activated fire alarm at Mount Si High School. After investigation, the pull station was not activated and was possibly malfunctioning. The panel was bypassed by an electrician, and a replacement pull station was scheduled for installation.

At around 7:30PM, Snoqualmie Firefighters were called to a report of a CO alarm inside a residence. The homeowner stated that they were using the oven when the alarm sounded, so they evacuated and called 911. The unit arrived and determined that there were unsafe levels of CO in the house. The crews secured the oven and began to ventilate with a fan. The homeowner stated they were using a new “drip pan” in the oven that possibly blocked the fan from properly venting it. CO levels dropped, and homeowner was advised to have a technician service the oven prior to next use.

[In addition to the above calls, Snoqualmie EMTs responded to 31 medical aid incidents bringing the total number of calls to date to 819.]

Speak Your Mind

*